Sunday, July 27, 2008

Teaching Stuff

So this past week I went to a training on the new curriculum that I will be teaching. It's totally different than what I have gotten used to teaching in Texas in lots of ways. I like it b/c it is very student centered and has lots of activities that students can do to find meaning and engage in learning. I don't like it b/c it does not allow the students to master basic mechanical skills needed to solve math problems. I think it's going to take an awful lot of planning time on my part, but I am hoping my fellow colleagues will be nice and guide me through this first year. I only have about 2 weeks left this summer. It has definitely flown by and I feel like summer has just begun. Although I enjoy having time off from work, I am looking forward to the fall and winter. I can't wait to experience 4 seasons. I think that the fall here is going to be gorgeous and the winter, well, I like to ski. We have been close to record breaking heat b/c of the consecutive days over 90 degrees. I laugh at that. I thought it was normal to be in the 90's everyday. But, all is well here and I am loving it. I was just thinking the other day about how this is probably the easiest move I have ever made. I attribute this to the fact that I already had a network of friends when I got here through my church. So I haven't had to put much effort into meeting people so far.

Well that's it for me right now. Talk to you soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you like it so much. Don't fret over the planning. you'll do great!

Jennifer said...

I'm glad to hear that you are settling in so well. It is hard to believe that summer is almost over. :(

I'm sure you'll do fine with the new curriculum you're a great teacher!

I'm a little jealous I have to admit that you can spend your Sunday mornings on a mountain reading...that sounds so wonderful and peaceful!

Keep posting, it's great to hear from you. :)